Sunday 24 January 2010

Sydney, Australia


I was very sad to say goodbye to Singapore. Some friends I made there will be friends for life, for sure. Each time I move to a different country I feel uprooted, having previously just settled into the swing of things. To feel homesick for many places is no fun. But we move onwards and upwards, or downwards, to sunny Sydney where Bondi beach, a few tinnies, and several shrimps on barbies beckon.
I’ve been here for more than a week now, and I’m happy to have plenty of Western food back on the menu – I tried the Fish Head Curry, a Singapore speciality, on my last few days there and it actually wasn’t too bad, though the eyeball I promised my friends I’d eat was just too much!
Very surprised to see beautiful parrots flying around as regular as pigeons back home, along with a host of other exotic and unusual animals I’d never seen before. Hopefully there’ll be many kangaroos and wallabies to point at like a good old tourist in the next few months. Everything here is BIG. The food and drink servings, the money, the sun, the waves, and some comically hefty guys – all extra large and extra loud.
I’m reading the newspapers here, locals and nationals, eagerly…but more about that later. It’s going to be good, this one ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment