Sunday 18 October 2009

New Look Blog

Inspired by my recent photo session with Li Ka Yee Joey, the blog is looking sharp and new. Joey's a great photographer and we met up for a day's shooting around Hong Kong and on one of its outlying islands. Ma Wan is half an hour's ferry ride from Hong Kong Island and is home to one of the most bizarre places I've ever been. On one side of the island was once a traditional fishing village, now deserted. The narrow streets are empty and the tiny houses abandoned, each fenced off by metal wire and signs saying 'Government Property'. Some of the buildings are missing their fronts, the trappings of what used to be homes still visible; a chair in the corner, coat hooks on the walls. On the water's edge, rows of long, thick wooden planks once used to sort and gut thousands of fish each day are empty, free of the life and the death they once supported, but still retaining the smell of many long years of use.

I realise now that I will have almost a year of Summer. Travelling East around the world from British summertime, I'm moving against the changing of the seasons. My Christmas, New Year and Easter will all be spent in the sun.

The territory of Hong Kong consists of 234 islands in addition to Hong Kong island itself, so I still have plenty of island exploring to do. Tomorrow it's Lamma, the largest of the outlying islands. With no cars or roads, it should make for a welcome rest from the craziness of the city.

I have a few good shows lined up - one the evening before I leave early the next day for Singapore - that'll be a busy night.

Feel free to check out Li Ka Yee Joey's pictures at

http://picasaweb.google.com.hk/zucca100mb

4 comments:

  1. Your site looks so good little lamb!!! Xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'ello there .. when and where r u performing in singapore?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'll be in Singapore from 15 November to 15 January. The idea of the Trip is to arrive in each country with nothing planned or prepared, so I can't say yet! But I'll keep you up to date on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool v cool .. i have not read ur blog, somehow i jus tot that will be wat u will b doing LOL .. stay posted. fatfish.fatfish@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete