Friday 4 September 2009

Hindustan Times

He Can Read Your Mind
Rajesh Ahuja
Twenty one isn’t an age to indulge in mind reading. Tom DeVoe feels the same. But the British lad still can’t help being a mind illusionist. In the Capital recently to put some of his choicest tricks on display – like splitting a spoon into two pieces by channelling positive energy towards it – the artist gave us a peek into his own grey space. “I have been studying mind reading for seven years. My talent may be unusual, but I am not a freak”, he said with a chuckle.
The sociology graduate from Leeds University derives pleasure out of surprising people with his talent and loves to wax lyrical about his escapades across the world. “I left home on my 21st birthday and plan to return when I turn 22. I think mind reading is still an untapped field which the world is finally waking up to”, he said.

DeVoe, who hails from Wales, started out by performing for friends and charity. “I’ve followed illusionists like David Blaine and Derren Brown through books and videos. But unlike magicians, human psychology intrigues me. I’ve always been good at guessing what others are thinking. This is an extension of that”, he added.

For someone who’s dead set against looking for ‘cheap publicity’ through talent hunts like Britain’s Got Talent, Tom would rather have his work do the talking. “Artists don’t need TV shows to display their talent”, he said. Are his parents cool with his trampling this unexplored territory? “Oh yes, they are. They don’t think I’m a jerk”, he said with a laugh. Good for you, brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment